Friday 6 May 2016

Apples on brown paper, mixed media.

I'm creating a drawing a day for a year, just for the art of it.

Today's are some apples with pen, watersoluable pencils and markers.

I used to think still lifes of fruit and such were not really proper subjects for artists, just for practice, like playing scales on the piano. When I was about ninteen the Tate got together a vast collection of Cezanne's work and I went up to London to see it, I will never forget standing in front of Cezanne's Apples and Oranges, rooted to the earth and elated all at once, no art book does it justice - they are the most alive and appley apples in the cosmos! The beautiful reality of really caught on canvas.

If I just once give another human the kind of lift that I buzzed on all that day with some peace of mine, l have lived a worthwhile life.

Anyway, here are my apples, I'm not going to compare them unfavourably with Cezanne's work - if I started down that read I would quit drawing by the end of the day!



No comments:

Post a Comment